WW1 Death Plaque - John Henry Martin
Died Age 22 19/6/1917 Number 302342 (3875)
Rank : Rifleman Regiment: London Rifle Brigade Unit : "B" Coy. 2nd/5th Battalion. Battalion: 5th (City of London) London Rifle Brigade.
Born : Forest Gate, London. Enlisted : London Residence : Stamford Hill, London
How killed : Killed in Action Theatre of War : Aldershot
Additional info : Son of Henry and Helen Martin, of 4, Portland Avenue, Stamford Hill, London.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 9. Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL
Plaque is in excellent as issued condition, with the following papers etc -
1. Two letters dated 25 June 1917 and 30 June 1917 informing members of the family / friends of John Henry Martins death.
2. One standard Record Office letter forwarding medals to his next of kin.
3. One paper Plaque envelope addressed to his mother.
4. Letter & envelope addressed to John Henry Martins Brother dated 26 July 1917 (Field postmark 27 July 1917).
1901 census info: Address : 77 Hampton Road,
Father : Henry from Eltham, Essex – Work - Cashier Merchants
Mother: Helen from Hoxton, Essex
Brothers (3) : Albert Stanley, Leonard Brad Shaw and Leslie Herbert
The Bronze Memorial Plaque was issued to the next of kin of servicemen/women who had fallen in the Great War.
Measures 121mm (4.76”) diameter, weighing approx 333 grams, cast in bronze incorporating the following:
Brittania holding a Laurel Wreath in her left hand and a Trident in her right hand.
An imperial lion.
2 dolphins representing Britain's sea power.
The emblem of Imperial Germany's eagle being torn to pieces by another lion.
A rectangle containing the serviceman/womans name.
No rank was given as it was intended to show equality in their sacrifice.
Around the edge of the plaque inscribed " He/She Died For Freedom And Honour"
These plaques are sometimes referred to as –
DEAD MANS PENNY, MEMORIAL PLAQUE , WIDOWS PENNY ,
DEATH PENNY , DEATH PLAQUE .
WW1 Death Plaque - Martin - John Henry Martin
- Product Code: WW1 Death Plaque - Martin - John Henry Martin
- Availability: In Stock